IT-oLogy Innovation Challenge
The 2018 IT-oLogy Innovation Challenge engages students and teachers to not only learn about environmental problems in South Carolina, but to actively seek solutions with technology. The most successful IT-oLogy Innovation Challenge projects are those that are engaging, innovative and creative. The goal is to think about environmental issues and apply solutions that will fuel curiosity and initiate problem-solving.
IT-oLogy Innovation Student Challenge: Students in grades 3-12 will create projects that use technology to solve a problem facing the environment in their school, community or the state of South Carolina.
IT-oLogy Innovation Teacher Challenge: Teachers of grades 3-12 will demonstrate how they effectively integrate technology into their schools to educate students on environmental issues.
Any of the following technologies can be used:
- 3D Modeling/Printing
- Agriculture Technology
- Graphic Design
- Computer Aided Design
- Device Modification
- Digital Photo Production
- Drone Technology
- Virtual Reality
Entries MUST include:
- A written essay describing the details of the project
- Video and photos via appropriate platform
- Any other relevant links.
The first round of judging will be completed the week of September 24th. Finalists will be notified via email and will move to the final round. Final judging will take place at the SC State Museum on October 20, 2018. Students must prepare a poster/tri-fold backdrop explaining their project as part of their presentation.
- Top Innovators from each age division (elementary, middle school, high school): $1,000 scholarship per team (529 plan) plus a technology prize ($50 value) for each team member. If a team has two members, the scholarship awards are shared evenly between members – $500 scholarship per team member.
- Second and third place innovators win a technology prize ($50 value) per team member.
- Honorable mention innovators win a technology prize ($30 value) per team member.
- Top Innovator – $500 Amazon gift card
- Second place – $350 Amazon gift card
- Third place – $150 Amazon gift card
New Location: South Carolina State Museum!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW: We are excited to announce that the 2nd Annual Innovation Challenge final will be held on October 20, 2018 from 9 am- noon at the South Carolina State Museum Planetarium! All state-wide finalists will showcase their innovations during this live judging event. We can’t wait to see how YOU use technology to bring awareness to and solve an environmental problem in our great state!
South Carolina State Museum
301 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Projects Due: September 21st
1st Round Judging completed: September 24th
2nd Round Judging: October 20th (9 am-Noon)
- Review the Getting Started page to get your ideas flowing!
- Review and understand the project Guidelines before starting your project.
- Develop your project.
- Submit your project – Student projects here, Teachers projects here.
The project submission deadline for this year is September 21, 2018. Get started on your projects early!
A Special Thanks to Our Sponsors!
2017 Top Innovators
Hear from four top innovators on their experience with the Innovation Challenge!